Halloween is the one time of year kids are free to roam the streets, knock on stranger's doors and ask for candy. It's fun and exciting, but kids and parents should stay safe and alert. Here are some tips on staying safe this Halloween.
Trick or Treating Safety Tips
- Kids should always go out trick or treating with a responsible adult. If there are more than two or three kids, there should be at least two or three parents.
- Check and see if your town has a curfew for trick or treating. Stick to the curfew times and stick to subdivisions and areas with a lot of homes so your kids can get in as much trick or treating as possible in a few hours time.
- If you have older kids who go alone make sure they have a cell phone, a set time to be home and are with a large group.
- Stay in well lit areas with lots of people around.
- Tell your kids not to eat any treats until they bring them home to be examined by you. It rarely happens, but you never know what someone might have thrown in your kid's goodie bag. It's really best to avoid homemade treats made by strangers.
- Remind your child to never go into the home of a stranger or get into their car.
- Make sure your child carries a flashlight, glow stick or has reflective tape on their costume to make them more visible to cars.
Have a Safe and Happy Halloween!