Posted: Feb 3, 2014 8:06 PM
A family visited the Bronx Zoo and their 3-year-old son ended up in the hospital. The parents are now suing the zoo for "unspecified damages." Last summer, the Bronx Zoo handed out a penny as a souvenir at the Dinosaur Safari exhibit. The zoo employee handed Ethan Yi the penny directly, instead of handing to his parents.
After he ate it, his parents were told the penny would come out in a few days. Unfortunately, it didn't happen and he had to have surgery. His parents didn't have insurance and ended up with over $50,000 in medical bills. According to NJ.com, Ethan's mother, Kelly Yi, said there was no warning about the dangers of swallowing the coins.
We want you to tell us what you think about this issue. Some parents are supporting the Yi family. They say the zoo shouldn't have handed a child that young something as small as a penny. Other parents are saying the family should have paid more attention to their young child. It was a horrible accident and hopefully Ethan won't suffer longterm.
Do you think this is a valid lawsuit or completely frivolous?