Posted: Feb 26, 2013 10:34 PM
Updated: Feb 27, 2013 10:18 AM
If you work in an office, you probably have a favorite coffee cup or even two. That is fantastic for the environment, but not so great for your health. In fact, there is a good chance it could make you sick.
Germ expert, Professor Charles P. Gerba, says that, "twenty percent of office mugs carry fecal bacteria...And 90 percent are covered in other bacteria...In an office, most people tend to clean their cups with bacteria-laden sponges or scrub brushes instead of a dishwasher. That bacteria transfers to the mug and can live there for three days."
He suggests that you take the mug home every day and wash it with your dishes. According to his earlier research involving germs in the office; the phone was the object in the office with the most germs, followed by the desktop, keyboard, mouse, fax machine and photocopier, while the object with the least amount of germs was the the toilet seat.