Posted: Jul 20, 2012 11:19 AM
We seem to be hearing more about bacterial infections in the last few months. A seven-year-old, Tevita Alatini, died from a bacterial infection after swimming in a lake in California. His family said they were swimming at Lake Pendleton and after the swim noticed a small rash on his side. He began vomiting and had a fever. He was given fluids and antibiotics, but died the next day.
Doctors say it may have been a flesh-eating disease, but they don't know for sure. The family did the right thing and he received care quickly, but it wasn't enough to ward of the infection. It seems like there are many cases of severe bacterial infections occuring every week.
This is a reminder to take scrapes and scratches seriously. Contact your doctor or head to the emergency room if any of these symptoms occur after a scratch or cut.