Posted: Aug 2, 2012 1:10 PM
Yesterday I had a conversation with an employee of mine about horrible bosses. I was sharing a recent email I had received from a supervisor threatening my very job if I didn't do what I said I was going to do. The problem with the email was, I HAD DONE what I said I was going to do, he hadn't checked. He instantly called and apologized, but that wasn't the point. Why not pick up the phone instead of threatening a persons job?
As I shared this she began to share her horror stories. We were just shaking out heads. This isn't reserved for women of course, but as a woman who loves her career, the things I've heard are amazing.I have a friend who had to make sales calls with her boss. He broke her down to the point she puked in his car. Gosh I wish that had been me!
Check out the list of horrible boss statements and tell us what you have heard!
1. Those pants are technically jeans and it's not Friday! ( I consider Banana Republic dark wash
slacks to be more than ok for the workplace. Am I wrong?)
2. You are like a little boy who has used up all his chances ( last time I checked HR rules you can't call a female employee a little boy)
3. You don't want to go to war with me Missy! ( Umm, no need to clarify what's wrong here)
4. I would like for you to tell me what you did wrong. ( said in a corner during a meeting)
5. You need to eat more
6. I understand you were in the hospital last week, but you need to get your numbers up!
7. Did you sell anything today (said in front of a group of co-workers) you better have because you make twice as much as everyone in this room!
8. I want you to tell me what you can do to keep your job.
9. I could get an intern to do your job, everyone can be replaced. (nothing like good ole confidence building!
10. If you really loved your career you would get here early and stay late! ( How about time management during work hours instead of working a long day just to prove commitment? Just a thought, I do have a child you know!)